Silverlight Status

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Recently we have had some inquiry regarding Silverlight support for SpecExpress, so I thought it was time to discuss our plans for it:

A while back, we had refactored the SpecExpress source to use types supported by the Silverlight CLR.  Unfortunately, we inadvertently left this project out of our normal build script.  So when we added support for MVC 3, and we had to refactor some of the SpecExpress code to better support MVC, we reintroduced some types that are not supported by the Silverlight CLR, thus breaking the Silverlight project.  We are in the process of refactoring those types to support Silverlight, include the Silverlight project in our builds, as well as create a Silverlight NuGet package. 

Refactoring the unsupported Silverlight type out of the SpecExpress project is going to have an impact on anyone who has created their own customized rules.  We are currently defining a strategy that will minimize this impact.  We should have something ready by the end of this month (if not earlier).  Thanks for your patience and understanding.

In meantime, I'd like to get a straw vote.  If you plan on using SpecExpress in Silverlight, reply to this with thread.  If not, we love to hear how you do use SpecExpress.  This allows us to target recources for future functionality!

Randy Bell

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:03 AM

yes we plan to use SpecExpress in SL.

Is it possible to get an early build that supports Silverlight?

Thanks,

Wouter

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:41 PM

We definitely plan to use it as well. Thanks for including SL support.

Frank

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2011 at 8:25 PM

For those who are salivating over Silverlight:

We have created a branch in the GitHub repository called RefactorRuleParams that includes the Silverlight version of SpecExpress along with a simple sample application.  Please let us know what you think!

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Thank you very much. I will be testing it later today.

Coordinator
Oct 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM

The Silverlight updates have been merged into the trunk, NuGet packages published, and package on codeplex updateded as well.